Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Girls Gone Wild! Beatle Mania Edition



15 July 2014
The Beatles: A Hard Day’s Night


To start with was the actual building that is the BFI. It is spectacular. In agreement with the professor there really isn’t anything like it in San Diego or even in Orange County. I don’t even really know if there is anything like that in LA. Everything is much more of a play type theatre set up, even those that are scenes like the El Captain Theatre.  Having a cinema screen but also having that theatre experience all in one. There being a bar being inside the area may be slightly common but that we could take in the drink, especially alcohol, doesn’t happen in the theatre. The atmosphere was more of a theatre than of a cinema but it was also very relax that it was ok to be in a shirt and jeans and not having to dress up for a major outing. 



For me the screening was amazing. My mum is a HUGE Beatles fans. Her grandmother kept all the records and gave them to my mum when she was young (since my mother was born in 1959); she still has them today. Between a divorce and moving twice she has not given them up, and I hope that she never will. She use to play them on her record machine when I was a child. It is amazing to hear them on the original production. Though growing up with listening to the music and knowing some of the history; watching them interact and seeing them made it more personal. Being born in 1987, John Lennon had been gone 7 years, all that was around was the music. The only name that was still out there that my generation knew was Paul McCartney. I only knew who Ringo and George were because of my mum, her favorite being Ringo which inadvertently made him my favorite as well. Since not having seen anything except performance, now with the movie seeing the “behind the scenes” of their interaction and the real Beatles opened eyes. Didn’t know how sexual and snarky John Lennon was. Knew that he was a God of sexual innuendoes due to the song lyrics but didn’t know that he was that sarcastic and snarky; which I absolutely loved. This movie showed really great shots on how crazy girls were over them and the Beatle mania and hysteria that happened. I’ve seen footage before of the girls chasing them and then screaming and crying at concerts. It still baffles me that at a concert you are so loud and crying and screaming “I LOVE YOU” to them, how can you enjoy the music and seeing them if you are louder than the actual band?


When people talk about the craze over boy bands like NSYNC or Backstreet Boys, or even now One Directions it is nothing compared to the Beatle Mania. They started it all! They are the ultimate boy band to have ever exist.

Enjoy some songs and video’s. Including Ringo Starr singing Octopus Garden in 2005.




No comments:

Post a Comment