Wednesday, July 23, 2014

The Shard: Very steep and so are its prices




Today on Wednesday July 22nd we embarked on a cinetrek to the very exorbitant skyscraper known as The Shard. Upon arriving in London, I had wondered what that mysterious pointy building was but never bothered to find out or even ask someone what is was. However, I was interested when someone had told me we would be going there for a cinetrek.

Once we entered The Shard I instantly got the full impression of how nice of a building/hotel this was, and that was confirmed when Yuriko told us that the very floral, earthy scent was the signature scent of all Shangri-La hotels...I don't think I've ever been to a hotel that had its own scent! The view from the 35th floor was very neat, although it was slightly uneasy being close to the window and looking down. I guess I'm not too fond thinking that the only thing separating me from my imminent death is a window pane, but nontheless it was still an amazing view.

To be honest, I wasn't that impressed with the hotel room. The only thing that sets it apart from other hotels is the view which, albeit amazing, is still just a view. That might sound odd, but that's the simple truth; it's amazing to look at, but then once you stop marveling at the bustling city beneath you, you realize (or I hope so) that it is more rewarding to actually be in the city, and to be part of that view. Admiring from a distance is certainly nice, but immersing yourself is priceless. Other than the view (and there are other great views of the city for free) the room was sort of lacking; this grand hotel, which has its own scent, is not all that different from other hotels. Sure, it looks a lot nicer, costs an arm and a leg for a few nights stay, and has a great view, but when it comes down to it, it's a hotel. Anyone who is interested in seeing the city won't be spending much time in their room.

Overall, visiting The Shard was a unique experience, although I do wish we could have gone on the observation deck. Personally, I preferred the view from the top of St.Paul's Cathedral more, probably because it was a nice reward after climbing all those steps. After this cinetrek, and perhaps when I go home even, I will still think of London in terms of Big Ben, The Eye, The London Bridge, and double decker buses. The Shard is very extravagant, but I can't help but think of it as a place where affluent people spend there time and money, if they so desire. That is just one woman's opinion, but I guess I can't ever imagine staying in a hotel that charges more than 500 pounds...for a bottle of wine circa 2003. Yeah, I looked at the room service menu. 

No comments:

Post a Comment